Shu Takahashi (Shin-ichi-cho, Hiroshima, 1930) is an important Japanese visual artist who also worked as professor at the Kurashiki University of Science and The Arts.
He lived in Japan, where he studied art; yet, in 1944, during World War II, he interrupted his studies. After the war, Kotaro Midorikawa organized an exhibition with the collaboration of the avant-garde association Dokuritsu Bijutsu, where he was teaching painting. Takahashi participated in this exhibition. In Japan, Takahashi also founded the Nouveau Group, a movement that would revolutionize the visual artistic language. In 1956, he exhibited for the first time at the Maruzen Gallery, in Tokyo. During these years, he spent time with the painter Morisuke Komoda and the engraver Tetsuro Komai. In 1963, he won a scholarship to attend courses at the Academy of Fine Arts in Rome. His artistic language is characterized by spiritual abstractism and by very bright colors.